Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Testing Green-Red Devotion, Origins Style

In order to keep my daughter entertained I rotate through formats: Standard, Modern, and Commander.  And the release of a new set means that it's time to go back to Standard!

My daughter is a big fan of 'smashy' decks, and so I recommended that she try a variation of Raeef Istfan's Green-Red Devotion deck that he piloted to a top 8 finish at Grand Prix Providence - with a grand total of four flashy Magic Origins cards splashed in, of course.  The acquisition of Nissa, Vastwood Seer sealed the deal for her.

  PLANESWALKERS (2)  
Xenagos, the Reveler
  CREATURES (33)  
Courser of Kruphix x4
Deathmist Raptor x3
Den Protector x4
Dragonlord Atarka x2
Elvish Mystic x4
Gaea's Revenge
Genesis Hydra x2
Hornet Nest
Hornet Queen
Nissa, Vastwood Seer
Outland Colossus
Sylvan Caryatid x4
Whisperwood Elemental x4
Xenagos, God of Revels
  ENCHANTMENTS (1)  
Evolutionary Leap
  SORCERIES (1)  
Crater's Claws
  LANDS (23)  
Temple of Abandon x4
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx x2
Wooded Foothills x3
Forest x10
Mountain x4

I've played this deck once, and here's what I've discovered so far:
  • Nissa, Vastwood Seer is the real deal, giving you incredible card advantage.  I also managed to ride her elemental to victory once by triggering ferocious and using Crater's Claws to burn my opponent for 16 damage, exactly enough.
  • Outland Colossus and Gaea's Revenge are not good enough for this strategy, and should be replaced with Polukranos, World Eater.  I could see Gaea's Revenge ending up in the sideboard.
  • Xenagos, God of Revels could also possibly be replaced... but bashing your opponent's face in with a 16/16 Dragonlord Atarka is a lot of fun.
  • I stuck in an Evolutionary Leap as a hedge against removal, but it's unneeded because...
  • ... Whisperwood Elemental is a beating.  Languish my board?  Sure!  I'll sac Whisperwood Elemental, and now all my mana dorks have been replaced by 2/2 Manifests.
  • I'm vaguely curious if I should be concerned about Infinite Obliteration.
Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't thank my daughter's dolphin for helping me test.


No comments:

Post a Comment