Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Magic Origins Draft #3: Don't Underestimate the Little Guys

There's a bar near where I live that hosts casual Magic drafts every Tuesday.  I'm not a drinker though, so I've always avoided the place.  But, ah, the lure of drafting a new set was too strong to resist...

The Draft and the Decks

I rejected the rare in my first pack - Talent of the Telepath - and instead chose a card that's been very good to me in Limited: Seismic Elemental.  After that I flirted with the idea of picking White as my secondary color... but the siren song of playing with Big Stompy Creatures was too hard to resist.  A mid-pack Zendikar Incarnate solidified my choice: Red-Green.

  CREATURES (17)  
Akroan Sergeant
Boggart Brute x2
Chief of the Foundry
Embermaw Hellion
Gaea's Revenge
Ghirapur Gearcrafter
Guardian Automaton
Hitchclaw Recluse
Llanowar Empath
Pharika's Disciple
Prickleboar x2
Rhox Maulers
Seismic Elemental
Undercity Troll
Zendikar Incarnate
  ARTIFACTS (1)  
Meteorite
  INSTANTS (4)  
Fiery Conclusion
Fiery Impulse
Titan's Strength x2
  SORCERIES (1)  
Joraga Invocation
  LANDS (17)  
Forest x8
Mountain x9
  SIDEBOARD  
Bellows Lizard
Bounding Krasis
Caustic Caterpillar
Chandra's Fury
Cobblebrute
Deep-Sea Terror
Demolish
Goblin Piledriver
Might of the Masses
Prickleboar
Sigil of Valor
Smash to Smithereens
Subterranean Scout
Throwing Knife
Thunderclap Wyvern
Topan Freeblade
Undead Servant
Vastwood Gorger
Watercourser

My biggest worry?  My deck felt a little top-heavy, and I idly hoped I wouldn't have to face a blazing fast Red-White or Green-White deck.


Round 1

My opponent played a Black-Red deck that was heavy on the removal.  But it didn't seem to have early creatures, and so although he picked off my initial onslaught both games, I was able to play threat after threat after threat until he had no defenses left.

Result: W (2-0)


Round 2

My opponent played my greatest fear: a Green-White deck full of two- and three-drops.  In the first game he jumped out to an early lead, and although I stabilized late, a surprise Gideon's Phalanx wiped my board and that was that.

The second game was even worse.  By turn 4 he had two renowned Consul's Lieutenants, while I was stuck on three mana and playing down Boggart Brutes in a wasteful attempt to fend them off.  Needless to say I lost quickly.

Result: L (0-2)


Summary

There's a price for being a top-heavy deck!  I guess that's a lesson learned: be prepared for a quick rush, or be prepared to get knocked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment