Saturday, July 11, 2015

Magic Origins Pre-Release #2: My Daughter Plays Green

I could have sworn that my daughter had said that she wanted to play White, but she insisted that she had said Green ("because I like smashy things"). So a few days before the pre-release we darted into the game store to rectify my egregious error.

A week of summer camp had worn her out completely, so it was a good thing that she had slept for 12 hours the night before the pre-release.  And so it was a refreshed little girl that opened her box and squealed as she opened an Archangel of Tithes.  "I'm going white!" she declared, and that is exactly what she did.

  CREATURES (16)  
Ampryn Tactician
Archangel of Tithes
Citadel Castellan
Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen
Dwynen's Elite
Leaf Gilder
Llanowar Empath x2
Pharika's Disciple
Rhox Maulers
Stalwart Aven x2
Valeron Wardens x2
Undercity Troll
Yeva's Forcemage
  INSTANTS (3)  
Titanic Growth x3
  SORCERIES (2)  
Wild Instincts x2
  LANDS (17)  
Evolving Wilds
Forest x10
Plains x6
  SIDEBOARD  
Akroan Jailer
Blessed Spirits
Hallowed Moonlight
Healing Hands x2
Heavy Infantry x2
Kytheon's Tactics x2
Mighty Leap x2
Murder Investigation
Totem-Guide Hartebeest
Yoked Ox
---
Calculated Dismissal
Disciple of the Ring
Disperse x2
Dreadwaters
Faerie Miscreant
Negate
Screeching Skaab
Send to Sleep x2
Separatist Voidmage
Skaab Goliath
Sphinx's Tutelage
Stratus Walk
Tower Geist
Whirler Rogue
Deadbridge Shaman x2
Eyeblight Massacre
Fetid Imp
Infernal Scarring
Reave Soul x2
Shambling Ghoul
Thornbow Archer
Undead Servant
---
Acolyte of the Inferno
Cobblebrute x2
Ghirapur Gearcrafer x2
Lightning Javelin
Mage-Ring Bully x2
Molten Vortex
Prickleboar
Seismic Elemental
Smash to Smithereens
Volcanic Rambler
---
Pharika's Disciple
Sylvan Messenger
Timberpack Wolf
Vine Snare
Blood-Cursed Knight
Iroas's Champion
---
Brawler's Plate
Guardian Automaton x2
Pyromancer's Goggles
Ramroller
---
Caves of Koilos

I don't know if Green/White was her best choice - I think Green/Black was a better bet - but all that mattered was that she was happy with what she had in her deck.

Note: I do my best not to watch my daughter play, as it causes me a fair degree of internal anxiety. So the quotes below are all I know about her matches.

Round 1

"I got destroyed by some big hydra! At least I got to play my angel!"

The 'big hydra' was a Managorger Hydra.  Yikes!

Result: L (0-2)

Round 2

"He got mana screwed."

Result: W (2-0)

Round 3

"I got mana screwed."

Result: L (0-2)

Round 4

"Claustrophobia beat me!"

Result: L (0-2)

Summary

And so went my daughter's pre-release!  I'm not sure she learned much - my efforts to teach her to be more analytical about her results seem to have been for naught - but she definitely had fun (note that she opened three mythics), and that's all that matters.

Oh, and her participation pack contained a Goblin Piledriver.  Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment