Saturday, July 25, 2015

Magic Origins Draft #6: I Fail At Reading Signals

The Draft and the Decks

I chose not to take Willbreaker or any of the uncommons in my first pack, grabbing a Topan Freeblade instead.  My second pick was Chandra's Ignition, my third was Celestial Flare, and life looked good.  Well, it was good until I realized I was getting zero cheap Red or White creatures.

I compensated by tentatively moving into Black.  But as the first pack morphed into the second pack and then into the third, it became clear that none of my three colors were particularly open.

This is the monstrously ugly deck I ended up playing.

  CREATURES (17)  
Boggart Brute
Deadbridge Shaman
Despoiler of Souls
Eyeblight Assassin
Ghirapur Gearcrafter
Guardian Automaton
Malakir Cullblade x2
Prickleboar
Rabid Bloodsucker
Seismic Elemental
Shambling Ghoul x2
Skyraker Giant
Undead Servant x2
Volcanic Rambler
  ENCHANTMENTS (1)  
Shadows of the Past
  INSTANTS (4)  
Clash of Wills
Titan's Strength
Touch of Moonglove
Unholy Hunger
  SORCERIES (1)  
Chandra's Ignition
  LANDS (17)  
Evolving Wilds
Island
Mountain x7
Swamp x8
  SIDEBOARD  
Blood-Cursed Knight
Caustic Caterpillar
Celestial Flare
Citadel Castellan
Cleric of the Forward Order
Displacement Wave
Forest
Healing Hands
Hitchclaw Recluse
Might of the Masses
Nissa's Pilgrimage
Outland Colossus
Psychic Rebuttal
Reclaim
Stalwart Aven
Topan Freeblade
Vine Snare
Yoked Ox

Okay, the Clash of Wills is stupid; I should have just gone with 18 lands.


Round 1

The mystery of what had happened to the cheap Red/White creatures was quickly answered.  My first round opponent had been sitting to my right in the draft pod, and he overran me with Akroan Sergeant and Stalwart Aven and combat tricks.  I did eke out the first game due to mana issues on his part, only to have the favor returned in the next two.  I think he would have handily beaten me anyway.

Result: L (1-2)


Round 2

The first game my opponent played Islands and Separatist Voidmages. They were annoying but ultimately inconsequential; I suspected that he had failed to draw lands to support his second color.  Game 2 proved me right as he played a Plains and went over me with an army of flyers.  Unfortunately for him, I curved out perfectly game 3 and overran him before he could mount a substantial board presence.

Result: W (2-1)


Round 3

My third round opponent was also playing Black-Red.  In the first game my first opening hand had no lands; my second opening hand had five.  That set the tone for the ensuing mana flood.

I was far more successful on the play; it turns out that when two aggressive decks face each other, the first player has the advantage.  But sadly for me, the maxim held true for game 3, where I was on the draw and was never able to keep up with my opponent's board.

Result: L (1-2)


Summary

My draft was ugly, my deck was ugly, and my frequent mulligans were ugly.  Ah well, these things happen - and at least all the ugliness was contained in a single draft experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment