Sunday, July 12, 2015

Magic Origins Pre-Release #4: Red and White... ?

Sunday morning was when I realized that I may have bitten off more Magic than I could chew.  I woke up exhausted after playing two pre-releases the day before, followed by a night of typing up tournament reports and organizing cards.  Still, the prospect of opening more packs quickly got me going through my morning routine, and by the time I got to the game store I was revved and ready to go.

I had chosen Red for my Sunday morning pre-release, and although I didn't open up anything particularly special in Red, it still had a nice mix of creatures and removal spells.  None of the other colors seemed particularly outstanding, and I finally decided that White was the best of a mediocre lot.

  CREATURES (14)  
Anointer of Champions
Boggart Brute
Embermaw Hellion
Firefiend Elemental x2
Hixus, Prison Warden
Prickleboar x2
Scab-Clan Berserker
Seismic Elemental
Stalwart Aven x2
Subterranean Scout
Volcanic Rambler
  ENCHANTMENTS (1)  
Grasp of the Hieromancer
  INSTANTS (5)  
Celestial Flare x2
Fiery Impulse
Ravaging Blaze x2
  SORCERIES (2)  
Dragon Fodder x2
  LANDS (17)  
Rogue's Passage
Plains x7
Mountains x9
  SIDEBOARD  
Akroan Jailer
Ampryn Tactician
Enlightened Ascetic
Grasp of the Hieromancer
Knight of the Pilgrim's Road x2
Kytheon's Tactics
Valor in Akros
---
Artificer's Epiphany
Aspiring Aeronaut
Calculated Dismissal
Faerie Miscreant
Maritime Guard
Negate
Nivix Barrier
Ringwarden Owl x2
Scrapskin Drake
Screeching Skaab
Send to Sleep
Turn to Frog
Blightcaster
Consecrated by Blood
Dark Dabbling x3
Eyeblight Massacre
Fetid Imp
Gnarlroot Trapper
Graveblade Marauder
Nantuko Husk
Nightsnare
Priest of the Blood Rite
Rabid Bloodsucker
Reave Soul
Returned Centaur
Tormented Thoughts
Touch of Moonglove
Unholy Hunger
---
Bellows Lizard
Chandra's Fury
Infectious Bloodlust
Magmatic Insight
Smash to Smithereens
Titan's Strength
Aerial Volley
Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen
Elvish Visionary
Hitchclaw Recluse
Joraga Invocation
Leaf Gilder
Llanowar Empath x2
Might of the Masses
Sylvan Messenger
Titanic Growth
---
Blood-Cursed Knight
Shaman of the Pack
Thunderclap Wyvern
---
Alchemist's Vial
Bonded Construct
Guardian Automaton x2
Ramroller
Sword of the Animist
War Horn x2


Round 1

After some initial jousting my opponent played Nissa, Vastwood Seer.  Oh.  He quickly managed to flip her and awaken her 4/4 elemental, which was problematic.  Fortunately Subterranean Scout snuck a Goblin token by his defenses to destroy Nissa, and after a turn or two I stabilized.

That's when he played Kytheon, Hero of Akros with enough spare mana to protect him with indestructibility.   And that was that.

Luckily the next two games went more in my favor with my opponent unable to mount the crush of threats that he had managed game 1, and I pulled out the match victory with my big red creatures.

Result: W (2-1)

Round 2

I've blacked out this round.  Here's what I remember:

Result: L (0-2)

Round 3

Nothing too notable about this round, in which I faced a younger player with a Blue-Red deck.  His deck had lots of ways to stall, but no real way to deal with my creatures permanently.

Result: W (2-0)

Round 4


I actually don't remember much about this round, during which I realized I was starving and hadn't eaten breakfast (or much of a dinner the night before).  We split the first two games, and game 3 found me stuck on four mana holding a hand of five-cost creatures (Hixus would have been particularly useful).  By the time I drew my fifth land it was too late.


Result: L (1-2)

Summary

I ended up going 2-2 overall, which seems right for a sealed pool that was neither particularly terrible nor noteworthy.  The most notable thing about this pre-release?  I discovered how much I enjoy destroying my opponents Planeswalkers.  Seriously, it's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment