Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Magic Origins Draft #8: The Waters Run Deep...

The Draft and the Deck

My first pack was not exciting, with a painland as the rare and dispiriting uncommons and commons.  My first pick: Lead Gilder.

However I perked up once I saw the pack that was passed me and quickly yanked out Kothophed, Soul Hoarder.  That gave me a direction for the rest of the draft, helped by the fact that Green seemed reasonably open.

  CREATURES (17)  
Conclave Naturalists
Deadbridge Shaman
Dwynen's Elite
Fetid Imp
Hitchclaw Recluse
Kothophed, Soul Hoarder
Lead Gilder x3
Orchard Spirit
Rhox Maulers
Shaman of the Pack
Somberwald Alpha
Undercity Troll x2
Vastwood Gorger
Yeva's Forcemage
  ENCHANTMENTS (1)  
Weight of the Underworld
  INSTANTS (2)  
Might of the Masses
Unholy Hunger
  SORCERIES (3)  
Eyeblight Massacre
Joraga Invocation
Wild Instincts
  LANDS (17)  
Forest x10
Swamp x7
  SIDEBOARD  
Catacomb Slug
Caustic Caterpillar
Citadel Castellan
Cleric of the Forward Order
Dark Dabbling
Deep-Sea Terror
Elemental Bond
Ghirapur Gearcrafter
Gnarlroot Trapper
Hitchclaw Recluse
Kytheon's Tactics
Possessed Skaab
Reclaim
Ringwarden Owl
Timberpack Wolf
Titan's Strength
Touch of Moonglove x2
Whirler Rogue


Round 1

In the first game my opponent played first and started with a Faerie Miscreant that quickly learned how to use Grasp of the Hieromancer.  Meanwhile I drew my two drops on turn 3 and my three drop on turn 4.  My deck rhythm felt completely off, and by the time I stabilized and started swinging back he had enough Blue/White fliers to finish me off.

My deck curved far more nicely in the next two games, enabling me to constantly attack and smash my way to victory.

Result: W (2-1)


Round 2

The first game my opponent played a Sphinx's Tutelage on turn 4.  In the second game he played it on turn 3.  I quickly got milled out both games, helped along by an unlucky streak of milled green cards in game 1 and a Dreadwaters in game 2.  I did manage to get my opponent down to 1 life in game 2 with a Shaman of the Pack, but by the time that happened I had no cards left in my library.

Result: L (0-2)


Summary

I hate Sphinx's Tutelage!

No comments:

Post a Comment